Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2012

Yashin's TRiO Transfer Update (Part 1 of 2)


Hey OCC TRiO Students! 

I know I left all of you in suspense wondering what happened with my Syracuse interview. I can only describe it in 3 words: It was great! 

Ok, so let me serenade you with all of the details. The interview took place at the Chase Tower downtown Chicago on the 65th floor! I walked in 20 minutes early with sweaty palms and a racing heartbeat. I was interviewed by an Alumnus from the university who asked me a series of questions. I do have to admit that I was nervous, but all I could remember was my mother’s advice voice reminding me to just be myself. Myself. There was a time where I was unsure of what I wanted in life. 


I used to be embarrassed and discouraged by witnessing my peers graduating college and entering their careers. I realized this was my journey. Everything that I’ve experienced so far has made me who I am. As the alumnus asked me questions about myself it was then I realized I have a good sense of who I am and where I want to be in life. Maybe going to a University right after high school wasn’t for me. All of the questions the Alumnus asked me such as; if I could describe myself in three words what would it be? What has my work experience taught me along the way? The representative also asked me if I could tell Syracuse anything what would it be? This was the question I was waiting for.

 I explained to her I’m far more than just a GPA. I know who I am and where I want to be in life because of my college/transfer experience. My GPA was just a mere representation of who I am. I put emphasis on my characteristics, skills, and qualities that couldn’t be obtained on a transcript. This was my journey no matter how much I decided to refrain from it. Transfer students have something unique, which makes us stand out from the rest. Today, my advice would be to really take a look at how far you’ve come along throughout your college experience and acknowledge what you learned from it. Acknowledge your journey, and it will help you understand who you are as a person/student.   
 -Yashin-


No comments:

Post a Comment